This article will walk you through the process of managing credit memos through the Order option of a Customer Record. Note: You may also manage credit memos through the Accounting option. To see details on how to manage credit memos on the Accounting option, please see Accounting: How to Manage credit memos.
Navigate to credit memos
- While on a customer record, click Order.
- Navigate to the Quotes & Invoices section.
- The following are steps to take while on the Order option in the Quotes & Invoices section.
To create a credit memo
- Click Add on the top right corner of the Quotes & Invoices section.
Note: This will open up a stepped process to add an Invoice, Quote, or Credit Memo.
- On the Get Started tab, select Credit Memo.
Pre-Populate: Select the items to be pre-populated in the Credit Memo.
- Click Next.
- On the Details tab, fill out all the required fields.
- Make other changes if needed.
- Click Save. Optionally, the Save dropdown menu allows you to Save & Close, Save & Download/Preview, or Save & Send the newly created Credit Memo. Choosing one of these options will complete the selection and close the window. Clicking Save, only, leaves the window open to Add Payment, view Payments, or Send the Credit Memo with a customized subject line and message (see explanations, below).
To view/edit a credit memo
- Click the Edit icon on the credit memo row.
- Edit the fields as needed.
- Click Save.
To delete a credit memo
- Click the Delete icon on the credit memo row.
- Click Delete.
- A confirmation window will appear. To confirm, click Delete.
To collect/record payment on a credit memo
- Click on the Edit icon on the credit memo row.
- Click Add Payment.
- Fill out the required fields and make any necessary changes.
- Select a payment method or select a type of payment, if no payment method has been set.
- Fill out all required fields.
- Note: You may add a payment type and make it the default if none have been set on the customer record.
- Click Save.
To view a history of payments on a credit memo
- Click on the Edit icon on the credit memo row
- Click Payments.